On December 21st. the FBI released its preliminary crime statistics for the United States for 2009. The highlights are:
- Violent crime (murder, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault) decreased by 4.4%
- The largest decease occurred in cities with populations of 1 million or more (7%)
- Small cities with populations of 10,000 to 24,999 saw an increase of 1.7%
- Property crime decreased; motor vehicle theft by 18.7%, larceny-theft by 5.3% and burglary by 2.5%.
- Reported arsons declined b 8.2 %
These figures are based on data submitted by 11,700 American law enforcement agencies.