On October 15th, two days prior to marijuana legalization the Winnipeg police Service announced their policy on the use of marijuana by members of the Service. Here is what it says:
Winnipeg Police Service Drug and Alcohol Policy
The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police has indicated police agencies across Canada are in the process of articulating policies and standards for the use of cannabis in the workplace. Discussions primarily revolve around options that vary from zero-tolerance, to established timeframes between consumption and active duty, to relying on existing fit for duty policies.
With the legalization of recreational cannabis, the Winnipeg Police Service recognizes the need to address the new legislation with all members.
All employees of the Winnipeg Police Service are governed by the City of Winnipeg policy, Alcohol & Drug-Free Workplace. In accordance with this policy, all members of the Winnipeg Police Service must be fit for duty, regardless of the cause of impairment.
In addition, information and training have been made available to all members regarding the personal impact of cannabis use, legislative changes, enforcement of the new legislation and updated supervisor training.
We would like to take this time to remind all citizens of Winnipeg that it everyone’s responsibility to understand the effects of consumption of cannabis in any manner and the possible consequences.
The leading cause of criminal death in Canada remains impaired driving. Cannabis and driving do not mix. The Winnipeg Police Service is committed to keeping Winnipeg roads safe from impaired drivers, regardless of the source of impairment, and enforcing impaired driving laws. Impaired drivers not only put themselves at risk but also others with whom they share the road.
A previous post on this blog gave respondents the opportunity to give their views on what the policy should be. The Winnipeg Police Policy is in keeping with what 43% of respondents choose as their first choice. It is of interest to note that the other 57% of respondents all favoured a more restrictive policy with 30% favouring total abstinence.
Winnipeg Police policy on marijuana use by police officers should:
|fit for duty approach similar to alcohol use policy||43%|
|require total abstinence||30%|
|no use 8 hours prior to shift||15%|
|no use 28 days prior to shift||12%|
|no restrictions on use||0%|